💼 Life Stack
Pinched from Jack Baty, this is a summary of things that I use day-to-day.
- iPad Pro 10.5 with Magic Keyboard and Canopy keyboard cover plus Pencil - I love this device; it goes with me most places and in the office allows me to physically separate tasks and workflows. It’s insanely powerful - I’d call myself a poweruser and I don’t think I use 50% of its specs. I’m looking forward to iOS 12 and Shortcuts.
- iPhone Xs - As I said for the X, this is the best phone I’ve ever used. Kept protected by various Bellroy covers & wallets. The camera is just superb.
- iPhone 6s - For work use - apps and notifications kept to the essentials.
- MacBook Pro 13” (no TouchBar)
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga - Work-issued laptop running Windows 10..
- HP Z27n 27” Display - Lovely anti-glare IPS display, usually plugging into my MacBook Pro but my ThinkPad links up nicely when I’m working from home.
- Mac Mini (One) - 2012 2.3GHz quad-core i7/16GB/1TB HDD/250GB SSD - Hosted with MacStadium - Used for Plex, Resilio, some VMWare Fusion machines for testing/experimenting, VNC from work, Hazel for automated file sorting, and a backup location via Arq.
- Mac Mini (Two) - 2012 2.6GHz quad-core i7/16GB/1TB HDD - Home server - Used for Plex, Resilio and a backup location via Arq.
- Apple TV 4 - Mainly for Plex, BBC iPlayer and NOW TV.
- Synology DS918+ - For storing and serving up media to Plex and Infuse, backup and Dropbox-like file syncing. Experimenting with the VPN server and the Google Photos replacement ‘Moments’.
Services & Subscriptions
- iPhone X
- Sandmarc Wide Lens - Great little wide-angle lens attaching to a slim case. I am looking at the broader set of Moment lenses.
- Halide - Incredible camera app on the iPhone X and integrates well with Darkroom, a powerful but easy-to-use photo editor.
- Layout - Easy photo collage app.
Smart Home & Networking
- Philips Hue - Lighting
- Tado - Heating
- Arlo - Home monitoring cameras & baby monitor
- Eve - Smart switches
- NEEO - Universal remote
- Sonos - Home-wide music
Lifestyle and Miscellaneous Hardware
- Safari & Mail
- Agenda & Bear - Note taking apps
- Carrot - Fun and detailed weather app
- Drafts - Quick text capture with plenty of export options
- Apollo - Excellent reddit client
- Fiery Feeds - This changes frequently and is often different on iPad and iPhone, but currently I’m using Fiery Feeds and experimenting with Lire as it supports Inoreader tagging
- Pinner - Pinboard.in client
- Micro.blog, Icro & Sunlit - Excellent micro.blog apps
- Plex and Infuse - Videos
- Buffer - Easy scheduling to LinkedIn
- Sleeptot & Sleepy Eyes - White noise apps for babies